Sunday, June 19, 2011

On Prayer and Gadgets

Last weekend my 4 year old daughter suggested a rather smart idea on making security and safety issue more stringent for her--"in case I got lost in the mall, you know." She told me to create a regular "going-out" ID card with both mine and my husband's mobile number at the back. That was a big lightbulb moment there!

My daughter seems to have a mental map that scans possibilities in her little world. We bought her a walkie-talkie 2 months ago upon her suggestion so we can check on her whereabouts. As I was thinking of only a restrainer to keep her close to me, she was thinking of a gadget that would make it easier for us all. Clever!

I have heard a lot of stories from good friends who are absolutely incredible mothers that have terrifying stories of losing their kids even momentarily and found them. The horror of what could have happened haunted them for days. God forbid it happens to me, I would be as horrified as they are. It would mean to me a hundred deaths over.

While it's difficult to face the truth of the harhness of life, I have to prepare my child for the dangers of the world. I'm not an experienced parent. Therefore, I read a lot of websites that offer intelligent information and expert advice to parents about child protection. I also discuss with other mum-friends about their style  and adopt some of them, too. To discuss unpleasant topics to my child is the most critical but it's a must!


Above all, "seek first the kingdom of God and all these things will be added unto you." I pray to God every morning to seek His blessing on my child as she goes about her normal day. The big battles are best won by kneeling in prayer.

Psalm 91:14-15, "Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him."  

These are very powerful verses. There's nothing more assuring than knowing I have the blessing and favor of God in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment