Thursday, July 18, 2013

Welcome to Apartment Life!

My family and I have been urban-dwellers for the past 9 years. We have transitioned to new countries integral to my husband's job offer, and have lived in a variety of apartments over the years--except for one posting which was in Ghana where we enjoyed this huge space and privacy of a villa. It's a pretty sweet life. Really.
 
Anyway, there are a lot of advantages living in a tower block. No driveways to clean, no lawn to mow, no need to worry about maintenance, and, the best part, housekeeping service once a week. The gentleman does a good job with this domestic science. No complaints at all.
 
But there are drawbacks, too. The noise.
 
I probably have mentioned a lot of times in my blog about me suffering from insomnia. I have a problem falling asleep, and if at all I did, there's a bigger problem staying asleep. A faint rustle of sound alerts me like a megaphone would to a large crowd. That's how pathetic it is!
 
So, this recent hoo-ha that kept me up all night was another one of those nights where top floor neighbors didn't care much whether they live in a make-believe rowhome  or sound proof wood floors. Beginning with a pleasant noise as a party probably started; came guests, then it became too loud too late for a little girl past her bedtime. The boisterous laughter turned into almost shrieking, then to raunchy. You knew a few more girls joined in. Ah! It was aweful!
 
There will be elephants above your apartment. It's a given.
 
Ultimately, we called the watchman of our "luxury" apartment, and reported the loud noise upstairs. But, just like any other day, his promise of action is another written in the sand.

Only now did I notice in scrutiny the fire evacuation layout posted just opposite our door. The building actually has fire escapes at each unit, so it's likely there is no fireproofing between floors, and hence no sound barrier. The building has thicker walls, but thinner floors. (No, I'm not that smart. I read it somewhere).
 
At this point, I reckon it isn't still that bad, really. I hear them now and then, but it's not like they're doing anything other than living and enjoying life. I'm only asking for a little consideration so we can co-exist peacefully. They wouldn't want us cause them the same amount of stress, would they? Besides, I love this apartment. It's the most beautiful and most spacious flat we've ever moved in.
 
However, I know it's just a matter of time a loud party like that would happen again. I guess, it's best to consider moving out. As Albert Einstein said, "Beauty is but skin deep, ugly lies the bone; beauty dies and fades away, but ugly holds its own." Awkward metaphor. I know.


3 comments:

  1. They should observe proper manners when living in an apartment. Why can you hear them laughing anyways? The flooring is that thin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Shiela!

      Apartment buildings in Juffair, I believe are good, since it's strategically poised as one of the most posh areas in Manama. The US Naval Base is located exactly here.

      The noise that particular night though was rather amplified because of the huge number of guests that came over. On regular days, howbeit, we can't hear conversations upstairs except for dragging of furniture which I completely understand given its built--dimensions are far bigger than normal. It is the time they do this that I complain about.

      Some people these days don't, won't, and can't operate on common sense. You just can't argue with idiocy (or lunacy).

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete